"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Making Lemonade 

This represents new frontiers in spin:
The United States on Tuesday praised Japan''s decision to withdraw its ground troops from Iraq as "a positive step" indicating progress in the transformation of multinational forces'' mission there.

Referring to the Iraqi government''s announcement Monday of the handover of security responsibility in al-Muthanna Province, southern Iraq, by multinational forces to Iraqi authorities in July, National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley said, "That means that the mission of the forces there, the Japanese forces there have been successfully completed."

The Japanese Self-Defense Forces are "transitioning to a new way of contributing to success to Iraq," Hadley told reporters aboard Air Force One. He was accompanying President George W. Bush on his trip to Vienna for a summit between the United States and the European Union.

I'm not sure, but I think what Hadley's trying to say is that our few remaining allies are in their "last throes."

 

Comments:

 

You know Rod, it just seems like you wish the situation in Iraq to get worse. You seem blind to the fact that things are improving. You may cite, in response, deaths from a car bomb the other day, or more US soldiers coming under scrutiny for illegal acts, or the increase of internecine deaths, or whatever else the press wishes to play up.

Why, on the otherhand, don't you promote the ideas of the Iraqi Governments idea of a amnesty? Something which probably only bears truth the improvement. I am not sure it will work, just now, but perhaps they wouldn't do it unless they had reason to believe that the suggestion would be received well by the people with whom the interract on a daily basis.

Funny, I guess you don't hear about those things.
 
First of all, I take some offense at your suggestion that I actively want the Iraqi clusterfuck to get worse. I'm sure that you don't really mean that, because that would be the same as saying that I celebrate the deaths of American servicemen and -women, innocent Iraqi civilians, and American credibility. I can assure you that I do not. More to the point, however, the reality is that things are getting worse, no matter what you or I may wish.

You say that I am blind to the "fact" [sic] that things there are improving. I fear that you are almost literally drowning in Bushinista Kool-Aid. The situation in Iraq is getting worse every day - but don't take my word for it. Instead, I suggest that you listen to our ambassodor on the ground there, who is (if anything) even more pessemistic than I am.

As for the amnesty idea - even if such a thing would be helpful (and I doubt that very much), I for one am less than enthusistic about the idea of pardoning the people who have been murdering our soldiers. I guess I'm just a little weird that way.
 
Post a Comment