"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Friday, March 31, 2006

A Linkdump's As Good As a Nod (To a Blind Blogger) 

My regular readers (now enough to play a decent game of dodgeball!) will be happy to know that I haven't died, been arrested, or run away to join the circus. I'm still trying to get my computer issues resolved - most everything is back up and running, except that I need to recreate my billing data (which I thought I had backed up, but as it turns out, not so much) - and I'll be getting back on track here at PTTN next week. In lieu of actual posting, today will be devoted to link dumping and vague, superficial analysis of pressing issues. Enjoy!

* Another day, another Republican power broker goes to prison. Ho hum.

* Condi Rice admits to "thousands of errors" in Iraq. That's progress, I guess. The problem is that she limits her mea culpa to tactical, rather than strategic, errors - which means that all the fault lies with people in uniform, while she and her boyfriend boss remain blameless. Bad Condi; bad, bad, bad!

* It turns out that our assault on a Baghdad mosque (in which 16 Iraqis died) was intended as a warning, a "little reality jab" for the Shi'ite clergy who refuse to get with the program. No hubris there, I tell you. Maybe this is why Grand Ayatollah Sistani treats messages from the Empty Flight Suit as the equivalent of junk mail. Clearly, someone needs a "little reality jab," and his name is George.

* I'm sure that Saudi Arabia getting nuclear weapons is nothing to worry about. I for one welcome our Wahhabi overlords!

* Today's entry in the "Holy shit!" file comes courtesy of the good folks at Blackwater USA (emphasis supplied):
Stepping into a potential political minefield, Blackwater USA is offering itself up as an army for hire to police the world's trouble spots.

Cofer Black, vice chairman of the Moyock, N.C.-based private military company, told an international conference in Amman, Jordan, this week that Blackwater stands ready to help keep or restore the peace anywhere it is needed.

Such a role would be a quantum leap for Blackwater and raises a host of policy questions.

Until now, the eight-year-old company has confined itself to training military and police personnel and providing security guards for government and private clients. Under Black's proposal, it would take on an overt combat role.

"We're low-cost and fast," Black was quoted as saying. "The issue is, who's going to let us play on their team?"

Now, I'm sure that Mr. Black didn't intend that last bit to sound like a threat - but that's exactly how it sounds from where I'm sitting. You know, sort of a "you're either with us or you're against us" kind of thing.

* It seems as though illegal immigration is the hot topic of the week. That's fine, I guess, but I wonder when someone with real sway in the "liberal media" will bother to mention the obvious: Illegal immigration will not stop unless and until the great American corporate machine (which needs a limitless supply of cheap, disposable labor if it is to keep posting those record profits) is called to account by the imposition of meaningful sanctions upon those who knowingly hire undocumented workers. As if!

* Finally, two pieces of good news from the last few days, which I did not get to note because I've been out of town and so are now old news, but which I still want to mention: I am so happy I'm positively giddy that Jill Carroll is free, and almost as happy that Charles Taylor is not.

Please do have a lovely weekend. I'll try to do likewise.

Update: Added a link I forgot the first time (re: record corporate profits), and fixed a typo. I'm sure there are plenty more where that came from.

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment