"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Friday, March 17, 2006

The iRod Shuffle: Special Inaugural Edition! 

I mentioned last week that I was going to replace the Friday Random Ten with a new feature, and I'm as good as my word. Much as I love the Random Ten concept, there's something a little cowardly about it - when a really bad song shows up, one can hide behind the random nature of the selection. "Hey, don't blame me," the writer implies, "it's just the luck of the draw. I don't really listen to this crap; I don't even know how that got there!" Right. Sure you don't. Fact is, when "MMMBop" comes up on the jukebox, you dance around like a little kid. You just don't want to admit it.

So, instead of random selections, I will bare my musical soul by revealing actual mix discs which I have compiled and burned. Sometimes there will be some explanatory notes, sometimes there won't be. Either way, feel free to make fun of my odd and frightening taste - because this really is my taste, for better or for worse.

This week, we'll kick off with a holiday-themed disc I like to call "The Blaring of the Green":
1. "Fairytale of New York" (The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl)
2. "Teenage Kicks" (The Undertones)
3. "Whiskey In the Jar" (Thin Lizzy)
4. "Beat On the Brat" (U2)
5. "Into the Mystic" (Van Morrison)
6. "Mandinka" (Sinéad O'Connor)
7. "Baba O'Riley" (Roger Daltrey and the Chieftains)
8. "Molinos" (The Paperboys)
9. "Don't Go" (Hothouse Flowers)
10. "Alternative Ulster" (Stiff Little Fingers)
11. "Mary of the 4th Form" (Boomtown Rats)
12. "A Good Heart" (Feargal Sharkey)
13. "The Wild Rover" (The Dubliners)
14. "Honky Tonk Women" (The Pogues)

Y'know what this mix needed? Some Horslips - something from The Man Who Built America, maybe. Other than that, it's all corned beef and green beer to me.

 

Comments:

 

When did U2 do "Beat on the Brat"? I must get that.

And the Feargal Sharkey song, for that matter... it doesn't seem to be on the iTunes Music Store, dammit.
 
Post a Comment