"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Sad 

I completely understand the benefits of going to by-mail-only voting (as opposed to by-male-only voting, which for some reason is no longer in favor), and I do appreciate the value of any proposal that pisses off the state Republican party, but I will be quite sad if and when King County does away with physical polling places. I simply love going to my local Methodist church to cast my ballot - I love talking to the poll workers, and I love sneaking a peek at the list to see which of my neighbors have already voted.

Most of all, though, I love taking my son to the polls with me. I will always remember going to the Butte (MT) Civic Center with my mom when she voted in 1964, and I suspect that my almost religious attachment to small-"R" republican government can be traced directly to that experience. Dropping a ballot in the mail lacks a certain je ne sais quoi that is, for me, part of the joy and hope of politics.

 

Comments:

 

You can still fill out the ballot with your kid. I think it's the act of voting as something you do with them more than the going somewhere. I guess it's the je ne sais quoi the kids feel that makes civic pride work.
 
Post a Comment