"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Minutiae 

As you may have noticed, I've been futzing around a bit with the sidebar. I got rid of the "Save Social Security Now" ad, because it was too big and didn't fit my design concept - and, also, because we won that round. I also got rid of the MIT survey graphic. I have added, however, a link to the good folks fighting against Washington's Initiative 912, the disastrous gas tax rollback. They have a great selection of download-and-print PDF-format flyers, enough to satisfy all of your grass-roots politickin' needs.

I don't do enough local politics here, and I don't have a good reason other than that I get distracted pretty easily. I'm going to try to do more local stuff, though, and the upcoming election season - especially the initiatives, both city and statewide - will provide some good fodder.

And by the way, could someone please explain to me why there is no Web site devoted to spreading the truth about I-330, while the initiative's pimps have a very attractive (albeit horribly dishonest) page here. C'mon - a Web presence is a no-brainer. It's relatively cheap and easy, and it's hard to take seriously any campaign without one.

More generally, where's the mighty campaign machine (bought and paid for by rapacious shysters, tricking you into voting in your own interest) that was supposed to line up against the sponsors of the initiative - those plucky family doctors and OB-GYNs and cardiac surgeons, with their concerned, caring eyes? Turns out, not so much (scroll down; emphasis in the original):
Meanwhile, as reported in The Seattle Times, the money raised on both sides of medical malpractice Initiative 330 has set a record. The yes and no campaigns have raised more than $10 million total. But the money isn't evenly divided. While supporters of I-330 talk about greedy trial lawyers, it is they who appear to have the money. The yes campaign, which seeks to set a cap on malpractice awards for noneconomic damages, has raised $7.6 million—more than twice the opposition. Pro-I-330 contributors include Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, which has ponied up $500,000; insurance companies, including Premera Blue Cross and Regence Blue Shield; and scores of doctors, clinics, and hospitals. The donors to the no campaign, which has raised a healthy $3.3 million but is still comparatively impoverished, are virtually all lawyers.

Anyway, if the No on 330 people ever get hip to the Internets, I'll link to 'em. In the meanwhile, you might want to check out these well-researched backgrounders from the Olympian, entitled "The issues behind I-330" (September 25, 2005) and "Study finds little increase in malpractice payouts" (October 5, 2005).

Update: The no-on-330 crowd seems to have a vestigial Web site, here. By the way, it's always a bad sign when someone is advertising a URL (e.g., "www.TruthIntheFinePrint.org") that currently doesn't exist. Go to the link I've provided, and donate money if you can - maybe they'll spend some of it on a decent Web site.

 

Comments:

 

www.truthinthefineprint.org is the no on i-330 website.
 
Great site very informative topics on health insurance illinois.
I have been working on a site about health insurance illinois
and would be very pleased if you would take a look and let me know what you think.
 
Post a Comment