"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Monday, September 19, 2005

BREAKING NEWS: Chaos Cloud Threatens to Dissolve Blogosphere! 

Okay - at first this was amusing, then it got kind of creepy, but now it's absolutely horrifying.

From my post last Friday:
In the last couple of days I've gotten a huge bump in traffic, and a surprisingly large portion of it comes from people Googling on the name "Dr. Albert Sherwinski" or the phrase "chaos cloud." They are picking up on this post from a couple of days ago, in which I mentioned an article from the Weekly World News. Which leads me to ask: You people do realize that the Weekly World News is fake, don't you? I mean, not "Daily Show" fake, but fake fake. As in, completely made up. It's a joke, people!

What, exactly, constitutes a "huge bump in traffic?" As much as 35 times normal. In each of the past three days, I have gotten at least 2-3 times my previous best for single-day traffic. Indeed, in the past three days combined I have received more hits than any previous month. Yesterday alone I got more hits than all but two or three whole months.

All because of a gratuitous and completely facetious link to the Weekly World News.

Note that my blogroll has included a gratuitous and completely facetious link to the Weekly World News literally since the first day this blog went online, but I never got this sort of attention by giving shout-outs to Batboy. I don't think I could drive this kind of traffic by citing WWN "columnist" Ed Anger ("I'm madder than a French executioner with a dull guillotine at how namby-pamby liberals are trying to make it illegal to execute anyone under 18! ... If anything, we ought to LOWER the execution age right down to 6 or 7.") Hell, although I'm game to give it a try, I don't think even a link to this week's cover story ("World's 1st Look at President Bush's Upcoming Book of Poetry!") would warrant a second look from most of you.(*)

But Dr. Albert Sherwinski is making Sitemeter's numbers spin like the scoreboard on Tommy's pinball machine. And it scares me.

I have to think that there is a serious point lurking under the surface of this situation, I'm just not sure what it is. It may have something to do with the abysmal state of science education and literacy in our culture, or perhaps it speaks to the gullibility of the public in response to anything credited to a nominal "news organization." Or, maybe, it's just that people are edgy these days, having seen a great American city practically wiped off the map (and perhaps I'm being irrationally edgy myself if I point out that we may be looking at round two soon).

In any event, while I appreciate the traffic, I do wish it was the result of something a bit more substantive. Beggars ought not be so choosy, I suppose, but seriously - some of you people really need to get a clue. My regular readers (now enough to constitute a respectable dinner party!) excluded, of course.

* - A sample:
Dick and Don and Condi Rice And sometimes a throw of dice.
Having so much help at hand certainly is nice.
Mom and Dad and mostly God,
If I ever had to think things out myself it would certainly feel odd.

 

Comments:

 

Now, if u really want to see a jump in traffic, put huge boobies and wrestling (speaking of other fake things) on ur page


Larry

PS This isn't the kind of insightful commentary u envisioned recieving when u first started out blogging, is it?
 
Wait - are you telling me that huge boobies are fake?
 
Of course, the news that it was fake was relieving, but I still don't really think it was fair to twist a real scientific theory (information escapes black holes) to create a scare-story. I'm not criticising you by the way, I just want to say that :)
 
One of a kind! Thanks.
Came across your blog by chance while searching for traffic bonus.
http://www.1st-choice-4-website-traffic.com
traffic bonus
 
Some blogs are just too powerful.
Thanks.
Found this site while searching for
for improve traffic.
http://www.1st-choice-4-website-traffic.com
improve traffic
 
Tip: Follow all the World News as it happens from your desktop on Thedailyposts.com - Free Online Newspaper
 
Oes Tsetnoc one of the ways in which we can learn seo besides Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa. By participating in the Oes Tsetnoc or Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa we can improve our seo skills. To find more information about Oest Tsetnoc please visit my Oes Tsetnoc pages. And to find more information about Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa please visit my Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa pages. Thank you So much.
Oes Tsetnoc | Semangat Mengembalikan Jati Diri Bangsa
 
Post a Comment