"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Today's Minimum Daily Requirement of Sophomoric Humor 

In light of all the bad news today - I haven't even mentioned this disaster yet, and I probably won't - are you ready for some comic relief (emphasis supplied)?
British tourists have left the residents of one charming Austrian village effing and blinding by constantly stealing the signs for their oddly-named village.

While British visitors are finding it hilarious, the residents of F---ing are failing to see the funny side, The Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported....

"We will not stand for the F---ing signs being removed," the officer told the broadsheet.

"It may be very amusing for you British, but F---ing is simply F---ing to us. What is this big F---ing joke? It is puerile."

Local guide Andreas Behmueller said it was only the British that had a fixation with F---ing....

"But for the British, it's all about F---ing."

Guesthouse boss Augustina Lindlbauer described the village's breathtaking lakes, forests and vistas.

"Yet still there is this obsession with F---ing," she said.

"Just this morning I had to tell an English lady who stopped by that there were no F---ing postcards."

As an aside, can anyone tell me what the idiogram "effing and blinding" means? Because I really want to know. (Despite its similarity in part to a common bowdlerization of the word, I assume it has nothing to do with F---ing.)

 

Comments:

 

I am sure you could have searched this yourself but here you go.
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/19/messages/745.html
Or type it into phrases.org.uk .

I never heard that one in my seven years in Australia, if it helps.
 
Post a Comment