"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Represent! 

I don't think Jay Leno is funny; I don't think he's very insightful; I don't appreciate the big sloppy wet kiss he gave Der Gropinator. I don't watch his show. Also, as far as I know, he has no legal training, so I certainly don't expect him to be well-versed in the subtleties of the attorney/client privilege. For all that, he nails this one:
The White House announced that the public would not be allowed to see the memos produced by John Roberts when he represented the United States government as a lawyer. They say this is because of the attorney-client privilege. Here's the part I don't understand: he represented the United States, we're the client, he's our lawyer. Shouldn't we be allowed see our own notes?

Note that I don't think this line is at all funny, but I don't hold that against Leno because, as far as I can see, he wasn't trying to be funny. Which leads me to think he should be serious more often - more like this, and he can take Russert's job after retiring from the Tonight Show. After all, he couldn't do any worse than Russert.

(By the way - the title of this post makes more sense if you picture me trying to make some lame-ass white boy gangsta gesture when I say it. Or maybe not.)

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment