"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Friday, August 12, 2005

Random Ladyland 

We're going on a spur-of-the-moment vacation next week (Dinotown, here we come!), so I'm stacked up today getting the decks cleared here at work. I'll have my laptop with me when I'm gone, but I don't know how much I'll actually use it. In other words, I may be scarce for the next ten days or so; in the meanwhile, please do visit some of the fine sites lited to your left (my right).

But, of course, I couldn't let you go without inflicting another Random Ten on ya':
1. Gloria (Grateful Dead)
2. Telegram (Nazareth)
3. Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo (Rick Derringer)
4. Brilliant Mistake (Elvis Costello)
5. Stacey's Mom (Fountains of Wayne)
6. Thank You (Falletinme Be Mice Elf Agin) (Sly & the Family Stone)
7. Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah (Means I Love You) (Violent Femmes)
8. Six Months In a Leaky Boat (Split Enz)
9. Tempted (Squeeze)
10. Heaven (Joan Armitrading)

Speaking of the Violent Femmes - we saw them at Woodland Park Zoo the night before last, and it was a pretty good show. All the hits, yada yada yada. One thing was really weird, however - because it was at the zoo, there were a lot of kids there (including my own). Well, that was fine and dandy, and the band even made allowances (censoring the lyrics to "Add It Up," for instance), but I kind of got the creeps when they played "Country Death Song" and I looked around to see oodles of aging punks - and their toddlers - enjoying an ode to filicide together. Other than that, though, it was just wholesome family fun, as I'm sure you can imagine.

 

Comments:

 

The Femmes show I saw in 1986 is right up there in my top ten concert experiences of all time. It was one of those times when I didn't really care for the band, went to the concert anyway (free tix) and was blown away. Just amazing. I saw them again in 89 or so and they were good, but not like that first show.

I was wondering how they would perform at such a family-oriented venue...
 
Post a Comment