"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Was Yesterday a Holiday Or Something? 

I never even booted up the computer yesterday - I had, as Dick "Dick" Cheney might say, other priorities, most of them involving spending precious time with my son - so I let Independence Day pass without comment. As it happens, I could not have improved in any way on this annotated Declaration of Independence from The American Street, or this beautiful, thoughtful commentary from Billmon. Each of these posts, in its own way, touches upon the same topic - the wonderful promise embodied in the grand American experiment, and the precarious place in which we find ourselves today.

On a more prosaic level, I have one piece of advice for the yahoos who seem to think that a dense urban neighborhood is a good place for amateur fireworks displays: I like watching things blow up as much as the next guy, but just as puking marks the moment at which one should stop drinking, likewise a four-alarm house fire in the neighborhood marks the moment at which one should stop shooting off bottle rockets.

Anyway, I hope your holiday was safe and enjoyable. Now, get back to work.

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment