"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Imagine That 

My son has an imaginary friend, named Emily. Emily has a brother, a sister, a baby, and 8 puppies. Some terrible things have happened to Emily - she was once run over by a car, and died - but she always seems to bounce back.

I don't worry about it, because it's pretty well established that imaginary friends are normal and healthy. Indeed, if my Lovely Bride or I ever start to ask probing questions about Emily, we are reminded in no uncertain terms that she is just pretend (a comment that is usually accompanied by a look that says something like "Jeez, I know you guys are grown-ups, but you can't really be that stupid, can you?").

Still, I hope that it doesn't come to pass that I have to explain to my son how it is that his friend Emily is devastating Florida, or some such place.

(Full disclosure: As a lad, I too had an imaginary friend. I don't recall his name, but I remember that he lived in a secret compartment in my belly - and, judging by appearances, he's still there.)

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment