"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Cover Me 

When I hear the Shrubhuggers' pathetic new spin - Valerie Plame wasn't really a covert agent, she was just a desk jockey - I get even more pissed off than I already was. Well, as much as I hate to contradict Victoria "I Can Feel My Butt Cheeks" Toensing*, that's ridiculous.

Don't believe me? Then I don't suppose you believe her colleagues, either:
Valerie Plame was a classmate of mine from the day she started with the CIA. I entered on duty at the CIA in September 1985. All of my classmates were undercover--in other words, we told our family and friends that we were working for other overt U.S. Government agencies. We had official cover. That means we had a black passport--i.e., a diplomatic passport. If we were caught overseas engaged in espionage activity the black passport was a get out of jail free card.

A few of my classmates, and Valerie was one of these, became a non-official cover officer. That meant she agreed to operate overseas without the protection of a diplomatic passport. If caught in that status she would have been executed.

Hat tip to Attaturk at Rising Hegemon.

* - Why, yes, that was my best pun ever. Thanks for noticing!

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment