"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Monday, May 09, 2005

Wait - You Mean Paul Is Dead? 

It's bad enough that Kansas is re-enacting the Scopes trial, but of all the ridiculous crap (back-alley abortions, loyalty oaths, McCarthyism, etc.) to come back into vogue recently, this might be the most absurd. From the Detriot Free Press, via skippy:
A pop culture controversy that has simmered for decades came to a head when a middle school marching band was told not to perform "Louie Louie."

Benton Harbor Superintendent Paula Dawning cited the song's allegedly raunchy lyrics in ordering the McCord Middle School band not to perform it in Saturday's Grand Floral Parade, held as part of the Blossomtime Festival.

In a letter sent home with McCord students, Dawning said "Louie Louie" was not appropriate for Benton Harbor students to play while representing the district -- even though the marching band wasn't going to sing it.

For the Google-impaired, here are the lyrics to "Louie Louie:"
Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi, I said
Louie Louie, oh baby
Me gotta go

Fine little girl waits for me
Catch a ship across the sea
Sail that ship about, all alone
Never know if I make it home

CHORUS

Three nights and days I sail the sea
Think of girl, constantly
On that ship, I dream she's there
I smell the rose in her hair.

CHORUS

Okay, let's give it to 'em, right now!

GUITAR SOLO

See Jamaica, the moon above
It won't be long, me see me love
Take her in my arms again
Tell her I'll never leave again

CHORUS

Let's take it on outa here now
Let's go!!

Seems pretty innocuous to me, except maybe for that "let's give it to 'em, right now!" thing. Maybe it was the guitar solo that scared 'em away.

Morons.

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment