"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Spamalot 

Just when I thought I had seen every stoopid e-mail scam under the sun, something comes along that's truly unique. Today, I received this variation on the classic "Nigerian 419 scam" (emphasis supplied):
Greetings to you my dear friend,It is obvious that this proposal will come to you as a suprise. This is because we have not met before but I am inspired to send you this email by the huge fund transfer opportunity that will be of mutual benefit to the two of us.

However, I am Barrister Phillip Andrews,the personal attorney to the late Senator Paul Lane Wellstone, a Citizen of the United states and he was into politics. [Imagine that - a United States Senator who was "into politics!" -Ed.]

On the 25th of October 2002, my client,his wife and their three children were involved in a fatal Plane Crash near Eveleth-Virginia Municipal Airport.

Unfortunately they all lost their lives including other people in the Plane.Since then I have made several enquiries to several Embassies to locate any of my clients extended relatives, this has also proved unsuccessful.

After these several unsuccessful attempts, I decided to trace his relatives over the Internet to locate any member of his family but of no avail, hence I contacted you.

If you Google "Paul Wellstone," the fourth item down is a story from CNN which concludes as follows:
The senator and his wife are survived by two sons and six grandchildren.

I wonder if I should pass this news along to Barrister Phillip Andrews, whose e-mail address is phillipandrews1@box.az and who certainly would not want to receive a lot of messages from strangers saying that he's a no-good spammer and a moron, to boot?

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment