"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Friday, May 27, 2005

Any Random Dude Will Tell You 

Norbizness read my mind, or at least, the Readers' Digest condensed version. I had been planning to do a Friday Random Ten composed entirely of covers - that is, the first ten cover versions to come up in an otherwise global random list - and by coincidence, that's exactly what Norby did today. Given the number of covers I have in my library, I figured it would be a piece of cake, but in fact I had to go almost 60 songs deep to get these ten covers:
1. Oops! I Did It Again (Richard Thompson)
2. Calling Out For Love (At Crying Time) (Don Dixon)
3. Well...All Right (Nancy Griffith)
4. Silver Threads and Golden Needles (Grateful Dead)
5. Going Down to Liverpool (Bangles)
6. Keep Your Distance (Penningtones)
7. You Really Got Me (801)
8. Spider Man (Ramones)
9. Banks of the Ohio (Johnny Cash)
10. The Mighty Quinn (Quinn the Eskimo) (Manfred Mann)

So here's a short quiz, for you to work on in the comments should you feel so inclined:
(A) Which of these songs was written by an artist who is also represented on this list as a performer?

(B) Which of these songs was actually co-written by the artist who performs it here?

(C) Which of these recordings features the backing band, in name at least, from the original recording?

(D) Which of these songs was originally recorded by Louis Armstrong? (I gave the answer to this question right here on this blog, just a few weeks ago, so now I will find out who gets to lead the Official Club Pledge at our next meeting of regular readers.)

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment