"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Luna-tic 

I doubt that anyone noticed, given my spotty productivity over the past few weeks, but I have been out of commission since Monday due to a bout of projectile vomiting and other, even less appealing, gastrointestinal symptoms. The onset of my disability came early in the evening, so I doubt that my troubles can be blamed entirely on the Seahawks' dreadful performance against the despised Dallas Cowboys on Monday Night Football. Rather, there seems to have been some kind of nasty little microbe involved.

So I am just now catching up on my reading. And the first thing that catches my eye is this delightful post at Fafblog!, in which the Medium Lobster riffs on the predictably nonsensical ravings of Chicago School jurisprude (and rookie blogger) Judge Richard Posner. As is his custom, His Honor has used bad fake math to justify his conclusion that an unprovoked military attack on a would-be enemy is a perfectly rational course of action, in an economic sense (which is the only sense that Posner values). The Medium Lobster, of course, finds no fault with Posner's reasoning except that it does not go far enough - and concludes that the only rational course of action is an immediate attack against the moon. Furthermore, he proves that his conclusion is correct, using the unassailable truth that only numerical expressions involving exponents can offer. Remember - show your work, and neatness counts.

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment