"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Monday, December 06, 2004

Fairly Unbalanced 

I guess I'm confused.

I have recently come to accept that, in order for liberals like myself to remain credible, we must disavow people such as Michael Moore and, indeed, anyone who questions American military adventurism. I now understand that such views are frightening to most Americans, and if we on the Left allow this sort of radicalism to continue, we will be forever marginalized and in fact shunned by middle America, despite the best efforts of "mainstream" liberals (which apparently means "liberals who are okey-dokey with torture, genocide, and corporatism run wild").

Fine. I get it.

But, please explain to me how it us that the the other side may embrace the likes of nationally syndicated columnist Samuel Francis, who argues with a straight face that the Monday Night Football stunt in which Nicolette Sheridan and Terrell Owens engaged in a bit of bawdy humor constitutes "an intentional act of moral subversion," being an affront to "white racial and cultural identity." Our Samual goes on to bray that "the ad’s message also was that interracial sex is normal and legitimate, a fairly radical concept for both the dominant media as well as its audience."

And, while you're at it, remind me again how all the "traditional values" nonsense we hear these days isn't just thinly veiled racism, leavened with smidgens of sexism and homophobia for good measure.

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment