"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please." (Mark Twain)

Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Sinners In the Hands of An Angry God 

Just look at this bloated, pasty-faced little zit, and be disgusted.Via TomPaine.com, I learn that Jerry "What New Testament?" Falwell is still at it. From Meet the Press (emphasis supplied):
MR. RUSSERT: I want to ask Reverend Falwell about something and broaden the conversation. We talked about Iraq and the war on terrorism. Something that you said two days after September 11, when you were with Reverend Pat Robertson: "I fear... that [September 11th] is only the beginning. ...If, in fact, God continues to lift the curtain and allow the enemies of America to give us probably what we deserve ... I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle ... all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say `you helped this happen.'"

DR. FALWELL: And I went on to say in a sleeping church, a lethargic church likewise is responsible. I do believe, as Ben Franklin said, that God rules in the affairs of men and of nations. I believe that when God blesses a nation, as he's blessed America for a lot of reasons, things happen that don't happen other places. I believe when we defy the Lord, I think we pay a price for it. So I do believe in the sovereignty of God.

Falwell's ignorant hatred aside, the whole interview - about values, religion, and politics - which also features the Reverend Richard Land, the Reverend Al Sharpton and the Reverend Jim Wallis, is worth reading, if only for exchanges like this one:
DR. FALWELL: You still owe me a steak dinner.

REV. SHARPTON: I will give you a steak dinner. We bet on the election. But you will get a steak dinner, but you will also get a lecture on civil liberties while we eat it.

DR. FALWELL: But I've waited three weeks.

DR. LAND: As head of the Ethics Commission, I'm against all of this betting over here.

Like I always say - just because you're a godly man, that doesn't mean you can't cut up a bit on a fine Sunday morning.

 

Comments:

 

Post a Comment